Thursday, April 28, 2011

Back when I took sleep for granted...

High school days were great. I had minimal homework (less than 1 hour a night) and minimal responsibilities. 

I would come home from school and plop down on the couch to see what was on TV. After about an hour of that I would either take a nap or go to the gym, tan, layout, something of that nature.

Later I would do my 1 hour of homework and then help my mom make dinner. After I would watch some more TV, Facebook creep and then eventually go to bed. I never realized that going to bed before midnight was all going to change once I went to college.

Now I'm lucky if I go to bed by 2. If I get 5 hours of sleep in one night I consider it a good night. This pattern has caused me to become a caffeine addict. I have to drink a Redline Energy Drink just to get me through the day. Many haven't heard of Redline, because it is not very easy to find. Because of the extremely high levels of caffeine the FDA regulates who can purchase it. How high you might ask? 

Monster, Red Bull, Amp, and Rockstar all contain 85 mg of caffeine
A typical cup of coffee contains 70-85 mg of caffeine
Redline contains 368 mg of caffeine

Think you can handle it? Many of my friends look at me like I'm psychotic when I tell them this fact. I guess I have just built up a tolerance to these drinks that now it doesn't really effect me like it does others. I now some people who have fainted from shortness of breath, had rapid heart beats, or felt really shaky. I guess it's just a risk to take but it's the only thing that keeps me from falling asleep in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment