Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pick you Battles

Learning to pick my battles has always been a difficult task for me since I was little. My mom and I would constantly fight when I thought I was right about something. My dad (the calm one of the family) would try to reason with me and beg that for once I kept my mouth shut and didn't try to argue with what my mom said. I have always been extremely stubborn so defeat was not an option especially if I knew I was right. This attitude of mine got me into a lot of trouble in high school. In many situations I was so positive I was right that I would stand up to just about anyone and argue my point. This happened one too many times with various teachers throughout high school. If I didn't agree about a grade or a topic they were talking about I felt free to voice my opinion. Unfortunately in high school teachers have final say regardless of how right they are. As I would get into trouble my dad would still say pick your battles, if the issue is not that important let it go even if you know you are right. I got better at using my dads advice during my junior and senior years, but as an underclassman I had many trips to the APs office to talk about my behavior and attitude in class. Lucky for me I have learned how to act in these situations. I have realized I need to be calm, composed, and not attack someone if I don't think something is right. I will continue to learn to pick my battles and I'm hoping this will only improve as I get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment