Tuesday, April 19, 2011

College girls grunge chic?

When I came to college I was very shocked to see girls in adult large t-shirts and leggings as pants. I was very confused why so many girls rocked this look on a daily basis to their classes. Unbrushed hair, nike running shorts, and no makeup is common to see on any college campus. In high school even if I was going to wear a t-shirt to class it (1) fit and (2) was not the shirt I woke up in and (3) was paired with a pair of jeans. I didn't understand why every girl in college felt that it was acceptable to look like she hadn't bathed for a few days.

Now at the end of my second year in college I do understand wearing comfortable clothes to class, but I still make it a point to wear clothes that fit, brush my hair, and put a little bit of make up on to show that I'm alive. I think it is very disrespectful to our Professors when girls walk in wearing clothes you know for sure they wore to bed with huge X's on their hands and either no make up or make up from the night before. I know I have had my fun nights out in college and have not wanted to wake up and fix my make up or was of those infamous X's, but I have anyway out of respect for myself. I wanted my professors to have a positive impression of me and my friends. It embarrasses me when I see girls wearing my sorority letters looking like a total slob. If you are going to look like that at least don't represent an organization, because that does not send the right message to any faculty on campus.

I would love to know who started this grunge trend and if they dressed like this in high school or if it was a new idea when they came to college. I hope that slowly girls realize this is not a good look and try to at least make them selves look presentable. Shirts and running shorts are fine, but make them fit and don't use them as an excuse to not brush your hair in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment